Thursday, March 15, 2012

Parent Teacher Conference

I got to sleep in this morning since Ry didn't have school and Kevin didn't need a lunch. Ahhhh, so nice! Of course that meant that I skipped my morning workout but I especially needed the sleep since Kevin and I stayed up til midnight playing Draw Something!

Kev left for work which meant I needed to be the responsible parent. I got up and got cereal for the boys, fed Tyce, and made myself some eggs and toast (my usual breakfast. That's what I have at least 5 days of the week. And that's what I've had for years and years!) It was after 9:30 when I noticed I had some text messages on my phone...about 12 of them! I'm not very good at checking my phone but I was glad I checked it just in time. My friend Mindy needed a place for her son Cody to play while she was at an appointment. Cody is Rylan's age and Ry was way excited for Cody to come over. Those two plus Asher made a great team--they all played so well together! They played upstairs with trio blocks, dinosaurs, cars, but they mostly played outside jumping on the tramp and building a city in the sandbox. I dragged them inside for a not so healthy lunch of chicken nuggets for Asher, mac and cheese for Ry and Cody, milk and apple slices. They were taking their last bites as they made their way outside for more fun! Mary Kaye called earlier to say she would not be coming down today. That worked out just fine of course, especially since we had to go to parent teacher conferences later in the day.

Mindy picked up Cody just in time for us to get our shoes on to walk to school. Rylan rode his scooter the whole way and Asher rode his scooter part of the way (a very small part). We met with Ry's teacher, Mrs. Gunter, who only had raving reviews and praise for Rylan! He's such a good student, making progress, well behaved, and just doing great all around. I noticed on his take home books he skipped from level A to level C. I didn't question it earlier because he was doing just fine, reading the level C books easily. When I asked her she said a couple students skipped level B because of some computer glitch. But he's ready to be moved up to level D soon, so no need to go back! Ry and Asher played with blocks while I talked to Mrs. Gunter and they didn't want to leave. It's funny how shy Rylan gets...he wouldn't say hi or bye to his teacher. She said that's very common when a teacher and parent get in the same room. Interesting. I know he loves her though and she's been such a great teacher for Ry. She won't be teaching next year, to stay home with her new daughter. In November she married a guy who had a daughter and who's wife was killed in a car accident. The wife took off her seatbelt to turn around and change the dvd for their daughter when they suddenly came upon an accident. They then became part of that accident. So sad. Always keep your seatbelt on!! Mrs. Gunter is also working on her masters so I wonder if she'll go back to teaching sometime? Maybe in three years when Asher will be in kindergarten?

We slowly walked home. Ry didn't want to ride his scooter but Asher rode his until we got to my mom's house. We stopped at my mom's house to get the chocolate milk we left there yesterday and to sneak a sucker for Asher (Ry already had one). The rest of the way home I pushed the three boys in the stroller, carried one scooter, and precariously balanced the other scooter on Tyce's car seat. I was sweating and hungry by the time we got home!

We all got a snack (well, I ate lunch since I didn't take the time to do it at lunch time) and took a little break. Once rested and refreshed the boys were back outside. Can we keep this weather forever?!

Kev got home from work and read with the boys while I was cooking dinner. Actually he had Rylan read two books--Bears on Wheels and Go, Dog! Go! It's so amazing to me to hear him read!! The neighbor kids were playing soccer, using our fence as the goal. Kevin got out one of his goals and offered it to the kids who graciously accepted. Hopefully next time they play they will find a goal other than our fence :)

We had a quick dinner before Kevin was off to attend the caucus. Neither of the boys ate so I finished off the bowl of broccoli slaw :) I cleaned up while Tyce rolled around the floor and the boys played. Tyce got ahold of a balloon and didn't want to let go. He was so cute with it! I've lost my flip video camera which makes me so sad that I'm not able to record things like this--boo! I got the boys in bed and let them play the ipad for 10 minutes. 20 minutes went by before I realized I'd never heard the timer beep. Rylan "forgot" to push start :) They quickly went to sleep after I sang them songs and scratched their backs. Now it's just me, waiting for Kevin to get home. Guess I'll go clean some more...or maybe just watch some tv!!

No comments: