Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July

I just love this holiday. Summer time, family, fireworks, fun, and of course, all that this holiday represents. But really, all year long the American flag in all it's beauty often fills my heart with gratitude. I like to watch it gently blowing in the wind. I just think it's beautiful!
Kevin's family started a tradition just last year that I hope continues on and on. Steph and Mark Vosti went up early to save us a picnic spot up Big Cottonwood canyon (Steph already reserved a spot for us for next year!) This spot was perfect! There was a nearby river as well as a small cave. Both brought endless entertainment for the kids. We talked and ate and enjoyed nature and just had a good time. The scout age boys presented the flag and Angie and Matt both had some words to say about this wonderful holiday. It was all so great!


Asher really wanted to climb this rock. Kevin and I went to watch and after a step or two he decided he was high enough :)
Tyce on the other hand wanted higher and higher. Kevin helped him of course, but Tyce was so good about putting his little feet and hands where instructed and really trying to pull/push himself up. It was such a small rock but for such a small person it was an accomplishment for sure!! I loved this series of pictures--maybe because I think my little one is so cute :)




Silly Boys:

Photo by Asher:
Andy's friends came along and brought face paint. I think every kid wanted their face painted. They loved it!

After the Doyle festivities we went down to Pleasant Grove to meet up with the Mitchell crew. We stopped for dinner at Paradise Bakery before going to the school grounds for the fireworks show. We were the first to arrive and since the sun was still shining bright we set up the canopy and hung out, enjoying our dinner in the shade. It was nice to relax. Kevin raced the boys for awhile and pretty soon the rest of the fam started showing up. We had loads of treats to munch on. Kevin brought sparklers and glow sticks which are always fun. I'm pretty sure this is the first year we've brought the goods. We usually just bum some off everyone else. It felt good to be able to share this year :)



Tyce wanted a sparkler but he was a bit scared of it. As soon as it would die out though, he'd want another one, only to be a bit scared again! Fascinated and frightened all at once!


The firework show was fantastic! PG puts on a great show and we get nice and close which is super fun. This year we didn't get covered in ash and debris like we have in the past which was nice. Those few extra feet back is the place to be!
Happy 4th of July!!

No comments: