Rylan had such a great year as a first grader!
He's just such a smart kid (in my opinion anyways) so I may have to brag a bit :) He had 100% for his spelling tests all year and his teacher praised his math skills. I was pleased about both of those things because a) Kevin is not the greatest speller and b) I always loved math. So I guess Rylan takes after me :) No really, I'm proud of my Rylan and how hard he tries to do well in school--even if it is only first grade. I hope he (and all my children) always try hard in school and grow a love for education.
From the first day of school Rylan's favorite things about school were recess and eating lunch at school with his friends. He took a home lunch every day but by the end of the year he asked a few times for school lunch. I'm sad and disgusted to say that he admitted to eating a chicken nugget out of the garbage can. I don't even want to know if it was more than once but we had a good talk about the food we should eat and garbage can food was not on that list. So, I guess I better have him do school lunch once a week or so next year so he gets his chicken nugget fix!
The first half of the year was great for Rylan. He never complained about going to school. Sure, it was tough getting him out of bed in the mornings but again, he takes after me and he's not a morning person. The second half of the year was occasionally a struggle. He complained about school and wanted to stay home. He never fought it, just shared his feelings about it. Mostly because Asher only went to school two days a week and then got to stay home and play the Wii all day. As much as I explained that Asher very rarely played the Wii without Rylan, he still didn't think it was fair. Ry continued to do well in school though and looked forward to being with his friends.
Mrs. Olson was a fantastic teacher. I could tell the kids all loved her and she loved them (and her job). I got to help out in the classroom once a month and it was always a pleasant time. I was mostly out in the halls with kids reading to me but it was fun to see Rylan working at his desk or cleaning up or even out at recess. A few times during the year I had to stop at the school so I would walk by Rylan's classroom. It was fun seeing him in his school element, raising his hand to answer a question or just working away. He's such a cute, cute boy!
Rylan told me he didn't want to go to second grade because they have a shorter recess. I told that to Mrs. Olson and she helped clear things up--the second graders go out for recess earlier so then they come back inside earlier. Same amount of time. I hope this helps Rylan to be excited about second grade!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a smart boy!
Post a Comment