Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Soccer


Rylan finished up his soccer season today and it was a success! Last year we signed him up for "Little Kickers" where the parents come and do drills with the kid and then the kids scrimmage together. It was a bad experience for us all. Ry was so not into it and it was frustrating to watch him just stand in the middle of the field or come sit on the sidelines. After a few of his comments we realized he just didn't like all the kids fighting for the one ball! We finished last year off convinced he was more of an individual sport player (tennis maybe?) rather than a team sport player.
So this year when Ry asked me if he could play soccer I laughed. I told Kevin and Kevin laughed. Ry asked again a day or two later. And then he asked again. I had reminded him how he didn't like it last year and he said he likes it now. Alright, I won't give up on him just yet :) So we signed him up, again for the Little Kickers, and I was stunned after the first day. He was a whole new kid out there! He was running and hustling and doing the best he could. After practice I told him he surprised me and he asked "Why, cause you thought I wasn't gonna do it?" It's true...but he did it! So this whole season he has been a hundred times better than last year and it's been fun!
Tonight we bribed him with ice cream. He's still not a very aggressive player so we told him if he scored a goal we'd have ice cream. And guess what? He scored his first goal--(which in my opinion is tough to do when you have 15 on 15 and they all clump together!) Woohoo! Ice cream for us all!!
Way to finish off the season!

1 comment:

TheKeilShpeel said...

THat's funny that your soccer season just ended. Ours just started. So glad that he loved it this year.