Monday, March 1, 2010

Too Much Growin Up


Kids and boxes--such a fun combo!

It was a regular Thursday evening (except that Kevin was in Mexico for work). The boys and I were in my room playing and/or cleaning. I walked into my closet to hang up some clothes and when I turned around, there was Asher walking straight towards me. Walking...like it was all natural and nothing new! He had a big grin on his face and I cheered him on. Then he fell, got up, and started walking again. That was about 5:30pm and by 7:00 he had walked several times with just an occasional crawl. My mom came over at 7:00 to watch the boys while I went to book group. When I got home she said Asher just walked around most the night, whether it was on his own or with Lightning McQueen. Friday morning I think he forgot he was now a walker and he crawled for most of the morning. But then it was like he suddenly remembered his accomplishments the day before and he stood up and started walking. I think since then he's pretty much walked everywhere. I did see him crawl for about 4 seconds the other day but he's pretty much moved on from that baby crawling stuff :) Just for the record, he was 4 days away from being 16 months old when he started walking.
Before Kevin left for Mexico he had mentioned several times that Asher needed a haircut. So Wednesday night I tried and Asher just wasn't cooperating. I needed someone to hold him and Rylan wasn't willing to do that :) So he went to bed with a horrible haircut and I had the intention of taking him the next morning. Well, one thing after another, and it wasn't until Friday night that I finally took him in to Super Cuts where he did a fantastic job sitting still while the girl cut his hair (I was holding him, of course). Tears came to my eyes as she cut his hair much shorter than I ever would have but I waited until I got in my car to let the tears spill from my eyes. Why does it make me so sad when my boys get their hair cut? Is it because they look more grown up? Is it because I love their auburn hair and I'm afraid to let it go? It's both, I'm sure. But I do have to say he looks super cute.
So Kevin got home on Sunday night and I put Asher down to walk to Kevin to welcome him home. With him walking and his grown up hair cut, Kev said he looked just like Rylan. (Of course Rylan was upstairs hiding from Kev waiting to be found. He couldn't wait any longer and came running down the stairs to say 'Hi Dad!')
After Kev gets home from work, he and the boys like to kick the soccer ball around. Here's Asher who just started walking last week (February 25), and this week he's dribbling the soccer ball. He's not holding back now, is he?
I do love this stage that Asher is in right now. Even though he doesn't talk, he knows how to communicate by pointing or crying or showing me what he wants. He likes to play with those stacking and nesting toys and he likes to build towers with blocks--and knock them down of course. He's a great sleeper and even naps through Rylan, Kade, and Kaleb being crazy. He loves his sweets and refuses his vegetables. All of us around here need to be eating more veggies. I have to sneak them in Asher's food and even then he has a talent of separating the good from the bad and spitting out the veggies. Little Stinker! He loves his brother and daddy--Kev usually puts Ry to bed while I put Asher to bed. Asher's always pointing to Rylan's room so he can join their party. I know this kid will be happy when he gets to share a room with his brother!

No comments: