Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Three Weeks



This little love of mine is three weeks old and cute as a button. Here he is freshly bathed, hence the fuzzy hair. He still sleeps a lot but when he IS awake, he's starting to be awake for longer periods of time. He certainly receives his share of kisses each and every day...and not just from me! Rylan has stopped giving me kisses and gives them all to Asher. I keep thinking that once the novelty of the new baby wares off, then maybe Rylan will equally split those kisses and give me a few.
I got into a brief bad habit of giving Asher his pacifier when he'd cry (and really, he doesn't cry often). He is constantly looking for something to suck on, and what else is a pacifier for? Well, then he really wanted that pacifier and wouldn't sleep without it. For two nights in a row I basically held the pacifier in his mouth all night long. It didn't take me any longer than that to change my ways. Now I let him cry...a little. I've tried getting him to suck on his thumb or hand (because hey, he found his thumb on his own just after being born) but he doesn't seem to be satisfied with that. Oh, what to do?
I recently bought a new sling..."Sleepy Wrap". I love it, and so does Asher (well, from what I can tell he really likes it. As mothers we are given the right to determine what our babies like and what they dislike. At this time I would like to make the decision that yes indeed, he likes the wrap). I just wear Asher around while making dinner or chasing Rylan. Of course in the "Babywise" book they say that allowing babies to fall asleep in the sling and always being near mommy in that manner is not teaching them to fall asleep on their own. I can see that. And with all the hassle we've gone through putting Rylan to bed, I certainly want this little one to learn to put himself to sleep. But I just Love having him with me!

I told Rylan to sit by the baby and I'd take his picture. This is the pose he chose. I tried getting him to look at the camera but he just wanted to look at the baby...I know how he feels!

6 comments:

Jones said...

wow! next to Asher, Rylan looks so big!

I think Asher's fuzzy hair is the cutest thing!!

Jones said...

oh yeah, and I'm ALL ABOUT the baby wise, but for some reason this baby has broken a lot of my rules!! I've had her in bed with me (so I can hold the pacifier in!!) now I too just let her cry it out. It doesn't take her long, thank goodness. 10 minutes is my max. I hate to hear her cry!

TheKeilShpeel said...

You know, a pacifier is a lot easier to break the habit than the thumb though. I'd go with the paci.

We've had the long haul with Kyle and bed and nap time too but the phase is starting to fade. He's getting much easier to put down the last week than he was for the last couple months.

I want to see this wrap too. I had a baby bjorn type thing last time and really wasn't happy with it.. with this next one I want to try something else.

That is so sweet that Rylan gives Asher all his kisses :)

Keri said...

I definitely see the similarities between Rylan & Asher. Glad you're loving him. :)

Gasaway Family said...

Rylan looks so big! Little Asher looks a LOT like his big brother. What cute kids you have.

Brittni said...

What a sweet new addition to your family! He just makes me smile! Yes, Rylan does look so big compared to little Asher! He sounds like a great big brother already!!! I tried to do the Babywise methods but couldn't. You should read some of the baby whisperer and see what you think about some of her methods. I found a lot of comfort in her books. I hope mama is doing great! Wish I could be there to help in any way! :)