

In honor of Earth day, and in honor of our beautiful Earth in general, I thought I'd post about one of my favorite ways to "go green". I bought these reusable bags just before Christmas and I LOVE them. I take them everywhere I go and by using them, my stacks of plastic bags have diminished by huge amounts.
While living in Belgium I had to get used to the idea of the shopper bagging their own items. The grocer would scan the items and send them down the belt where the shopper would bag furiously trying not to get behind. Plus, they don't just give away plastic shopping bags. I don't even know if you can buy them. You have to bring your own bags to use. This is where I was first introduced to reusable shopping bags. I loved it then, and I love it now.
So I still usually bag my own items because I don't worry about stuffing the bags to the brim and if the bread gets squished it's my own fault. Hey, I can eat squished bread if I'm helping out the environment!
So I have two brands shown in the not so great pictures above. "Baggu" is the brand of the square red one. The bag comes out of the little pocket and then you just fold it back up and stick it in when you are finished. The blue one is by "Envirosax". It rolls up and has a little snap to keep it rolled. I wish I could say I prefer one over the other, but they have both been fantastic. The Envirosax come in fun designs whereas the Baggu bags only come in solid colors (as of December of last year, anyways). I know Wal-Mart sells bags that are made out of recycled plastic bags. And I know you can buy a bazillion other brands out there. These are just the two that I have!
So, if you don't have reusable bags...get one (or two or three). On my average shopping trip I usually use both bags and don't need any other plastic bags. I still like to use the plastic bags for bathroom garbage cans, so I will occasionally use plastic at the grocery store.
Anyways, if you are looking for a simple way to go green, and you don't already use these handy little bags, check them out today.
Happy Earth Day!
4 comments:
Way to help the environment by doing your part. I should follow your example and get me some reusable bags.
I have been really thinking about getting some of these bags. I have been looking at reusablebags.com and there are so many to choose from. I think reading your post is just the final push I needed! I hope your day was a wonderful one! I was lucky enough to spend the day with Jessie and her kids and we did our best to help everyone understand that a clean earth is a happy earth! Thank you for your post, I often think about us growing up together and like you love to get a glimpse of the life you have today! You are amazing!
ooooh! i love those ones with the funky print. just an added boost for that much needed grocery shopping motivation i sometimes need!
Yeah for reusable bags!! YOU are the one who got me started on this with your first bag gift at Christmas...I am now devoted to these and only these :) What an awesome Christmas present that keeps on giving to me...AND the Earth!
Post a Comment