Sunday, June 2, 2013

Letter to Great Grandma

I was trying to think of a way for Rylan to keep writing over the summer (hoping for some improvement in his handwriting as well). And then I thought of my grandmas. Both of my grandfathers have passed away and I think of my grandmas often being alone. I hope they have visitors and phone calls and don't feel too lonely. And they are both so great at always sending birthday cards and cash to their great-grand children. Anyway, I thought it would be a great idea if Rylan wrote letters once a week to one of his great-grandmas. I brought up the idea to Rylan, explaining to him that sometimes his great-grandmas might get lonely because they don't have children or a husband living with them. I suggested writing a letter to them might bring a smile to their face. After a brief talk of it I was surprised that Rylan was on board. In fact, he seemed a little excited about it.

 I declared Sunday our letter writing day. When the day came around I suggested Rylan get some paper and pencil. He immediately sat down and wrote out a letter to his great-grandma. It didn't take him long and this is what he wrote:
"Dear Great-Grandma,
 If you are so lonely you could have someone come over."

Ha! At age 7 he's already in male mode, trying to solve problems!! I'm sure my grandma would have appreciated the letter, well, maybe, but we started over and I coached him in what to say. He ended up mailing a letter that instead, talked about his excitement for summer and what he was looking forward to.

Oh, these boys of mine sure do keep me laughing!!

No comments: