Thursday, September 30, 2010

September Smarts

(September 6, 2010)
Ry: "Mom, I keep going back and forth."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Ry: "Like this...(while taking a few steps back and a few steps forward) back, and forth, and back, and forth. See, now you know what that means!"

(September 7, 2010)
Kevin: "Ry, show mom how you can wink."
Rylan winks and says "mom you do it"
I've never been able to wink but I give it a go
Ry: "No mom, you're only supposed to close one eye"
Like I said, I've never been able to wink!

(September 13, 2010)
Ry: "This'll do the trick"
Funny to hear a 4 year old use this kind of phrase :)

(September 15, 2010)
While reading in the scriptures when Nephi touches Laman and Lemuel and they are shocked because of the power of God, Rylan taunts: "Nah nah nah nah nah"! Who taught him that?

(September 24, 2010)
While saying a prayer before bed...
Ry: "We're thankful I could play dad's iPod and thankful Angry Birds has lots of levels."

(September 26, 2010)
One of the YW leaders told me that Rylan invited her over to his house so she could play his iPod. Cute! (Even if he may be a bit obsessed with it!)

(September 27, 2010)
Recently Ry has been asking me what words mean (fascinating, boring...) and today he asked what 'embarrassing' means. I tried my best to explain it saying something about being in a situation that makes you shy or something happening that makes you self conscious.
Ry: "Ooookaaayyy...I still don't know what it means"!!!
Sometimes it's so hard to explain words to a 4 year old!

(September 30, 2010)
Ry: "Mom, how old are you?"
Me: "31"
Ry: "So are you almost 100?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rylan recently got a new book 'Llama Llama Misses Momma' (We love these Llama books.) The first time we read it I read as written and it says "Llama Llama hates that book". Rylan looked at me and asked why I said the bad word. So I told him it's just not a very nice word and it should read "Llama Llama dislikes that book." So tonight as we were reading the book I replaced the "bad" word with the nicer word and Rylan stopped me and asked: "Does it not say (whispers) "hate" anymore?"
Me: "It still says that word I just said a different word."
Ry: "No mom, if it says (whispers) "hate" then that's how you have to read it."
Hmmmm, what exactly am I supposed to teach him in this situation?

1 comment:

Karen said...

We just got that book too! Ben scolded me too! They don't miss anything. We love the Llama Llama books!