Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

Since the beginning of summer we'd been saying we needed to go to the zoo. Then it got too hot. Then school started. But we still wanted to go to the zoo. So we went!

Tami and the twins picked us up after her 3 older kids were off to school for the day. They were sad to miss out. But since preschool hadn't started yet we knew this might be our last chance.

Just as we arrived at the zoo Kade's flip flop broke. Oh no! The gift shop didn't have flip flops or tape so he was a trooper and wore a broken shoe. Tami rented a wagon since Ry refused to give up his stroller spot. And then my boys ended up in the wagon with the twins--of course!

We all liked the monkeys of every kind. It was fun watching the baby orangutan swing around. We got to see the baby elephant, Zuri. North America's oldest African elephant put on a little show for us. They were fun to watch. I was surprised to see how big porcupines get. I always thought of them as smaller animals, but no. We saw an endangered Siamese crocodile eat some crickets for lunch and that was cool. The tigers were mostly hiding but when they did come out it was kinda exciting! We saw the giraffes, too...I love their skin! I should start wearing more giraffe prints :) I avoided looking at the snakes and creepy crawlies which is what the twins were most excited about! Rylan enjoyed the train ride even though he kept his hands over his ears for most of the ride. And really, it was the perfect day weather-wise to be at the zoo. Tami and I agreed that we enjoyed the zoo more than our kids but they just have fun being together so it was all good. We couldn't have asked for anything better (except maybe an not broken flip flop!)

These boys were not in picture mode this day!


I'm pretty sure they said this is the oldest African elephant in the United States. She's 50 years old and puts on a cute show!

Train ride!


I had to take a picture of the sloth for Kevin. But we thought this guy was so interesting to watch. I never knew their super long fingernails were used as hooks to help them get through trees. And I also never knew that they hang upside down most the time. Truth be told I really don't know much about sloths!

I enjoyed the zoo so much we might have to go back for Zoo Lights come Christmas time!

1 comment:

TheKeilShpeel said...

you haven't seen "it's a big world on PBS have you? " it's all about the big sloth and how they move really slow . :) The song is catchy.. you should wa tch it:) Rylan and Asher would like it.