Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween 2009

Rylan seriously loved Halloween this year. I asked him probably 29,000 times what he wanted to dress up as and he usually answered "a cowboy". I didn't know if he said that because he really wanted to be a cowboy or because that's what he was last year so he thought that's just what he was on Halloween. We looked at lots of costumes online and in a few stores but he always said "no, I'm a cowboy". He was such a cute cowboy last year that I had no problem with him using the same costume. Kevin tried his hardest to convince Ry to be a fireman and it worked for awhile. But then I couldn't find a fireman costume that I liked. When it all came down to it, I dressed Ry in his cowboy costume, he was happy with it, and he looked super cute again this year!
Rylan's little preschool playgroup had a Halloween party on Tuesday. The boys wore their costumes and played in slime, painted pumpkins, made pizza faces, created balloon ghosts, pet a real tarantula skin (one of the mom's in our group has a pet tarantula who recently shed his skin. Good timing for Halloween! It was totally creepy and Rylan almost destroyed it.) and practiced trick or treating. It was cute and Ry had lots of fun!


Kevin's work has a costume contest every year. In the past he's always been at the warehouse and he's never been able to fully participate. So this year he was excited to dress up. He made some creepy paper mache arms and dressed up as a tall creepy guy. He got an honorable mention with a $50 gift card to Mimi's--yippee! He's determined to win the $1000 prize next year!
We had a pumpkin carving party with my family last Sunday. Kevin carved a jack o lantern and when he was done Rylan called it his very own jack o lantern. We do it all for our kids, right? We ate sloppy joes and delicious pies and had a fun, fun time!

On Halloween we almost missed the Main Street trick or treating but we made it in time for a good practice run for Rylan. Kevin wore his costume and loved having people stop him for pictures or just to talk about how cool he was. There were tons of people and Rylan was thrilled with all his candy. I was hoping to get to the popcorn stand for popcorn (obviously). Just as we walked up they handed out their last bag...sad! We walked by the firetruck and Rylan marveled from afar. Asher of course was in the stroller the entire time making a mess with his graham cracker. Have you ever seen a lion eat a graham cracker? It was a mighty cute sight :)
We met up with Deborah and Josh at my mom's house. They came down so we could all see Abbi in her super cute ladybug costume. Deborah had told me earlier in the day "It's so cute it'll make you want a girl"...and she was right! Josh's mom made the costume and wowzers was it adorable! Again, Kevin was in his costume and we took Rylan, Asher, and Abbi around the cul de sac for some trick or treating. Okay, while on Main Street Rylan would say "trick or treat" but super quiet. So before we left for the neighborhood I had Rylan practice saying it louder. So we walk up to the first house, and immediately Rylan says real loud "Trick or treat". He did such a good job! Unfortunately that was before he even knocked on the door and the people answered! Ha ha ha...it was cute. Of course when the door was answered he thought his job was done and he just stood there waiting for his candy. So it took him several houses to get it down just right and by the end he was the best trick or treater out there! He said it nice and loud and he was saying "thank you" before he ran off to the next house. We had a good time. I was carrying my little Asher lion who was getting very heavy and tired so we went home to hand out our own candy. Sadly we missed the bulk of the trick or treaters and now we have lots of candy. (not good because Kevin and I are not eating candy this year as a silly new year's resolution and Ry certainly doesn't need it all. We'll be distributing it to kids, neighbors, primary kids, family, friends...)
There is evidence of lots of trick or treaters at this home!
So that was our Halloween. I had lots of thoughts of Halloween last year since that was the day Asher and I came home from the hospital!

5 comments:

TheKeilShpeel said...

What a great Halloween. I didn't know Rylan had a preschool playgroup.. So exciting. Sounds like it was tons of fun.

Gasaway Family said...

So where's the picture of Kevin with his cool costume? Sounds like you guys had a great Halloween!

Deborah said...

Your boys looked super cute, and it was fun trick-or-treating with you guys! We didn't really plan on taking Abbi (since she's not eating candy!) but it was so fun to go with Rylan and hear him say "trick or treat!"

Michelle said...

such fun pictures! your boys are adorable! there's a group out here that collects leftover halloween candy (from the people who buy too much) and from people who can get their kids to donate it, and they send it out to the troops. I thought that was such an awesome idea. We'll let Damon choose 10 candies or so, then donate it all. it also saves me from eating any! yeah, where's a pic of kevin's award winning costume?!

Mindy said...

Ok, so I was totally skimming your post, ya know, just looking at the pictures, and then I saw the last one and I was like, "no way, we saw that guy on Main Street!" So then of course I had to read the whole thing and find out if it really was Kevin - and sure enough. That's crazy cool. Sounds like you guys had a fun holiday. You should of brought your candy over to our house - we totally ran out (it worked out good though, I just started giving away my kids' candy. . .)