Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Activity Chart


For many months we've said we need to start a chore chart for our kids. Kevin had an idea in his mind of what he wanted it to be so I kind of left it up to him. He brought home a huge magnet from work (huge, as in several feet long!) and at the beginning of the year he got to work on the new chore chart.
Kevin printed out pictures of chores or activities the boys need to do for the day. Once completed, they put a check mark up. At the end of the day they get a marble for each check mark to put in a jar. Once the jar is filled they get their reward (which is determined before we start filling it up, of course.) We've been trying to call it an "Activity Chart" just so it sounds more fun! I still find myself telling the boys to do their 'chores' though.
Activities must be done before they get to watch tv, play on the computer, or play with friends. This has really put a limit on tv watching and friend time. The lack of friend time has been very sad for Rylan...
Daily chores include: putting their dishes in the sink after each meal, making their bed, and reading or looking at books for at least 15 minutes.
Other activities that change daily are: unload the dishwasher, draw or color (yeah, it's sad that I have to bribe my kids to draw and color!), wipe down the toilets, wash walls, pick up toys (this gets put up when the house is out of control. Really, I try and make them pick up their toys every day...)
So far it's worked pretty good! They filled up the jar twice which has taken them to Cold Stone and bowling/Carls' Jr. Rylan is really good at most of his activities. He struggles with a few and gets distracted really easily so most days he is finishing up just before dinner time. Asher struggles a little more, maybe because he's younger and needs more direction. Of course we've had our days of "I hate doing chores" shouted repeatedly but overall I think they're learning some responsibility!
So, when we went bowling I of course had to make a bet with Kevin and I proceeded to bowl 3 strikes and 3 spares in my game which brought me victory. I think I had more fun than the boys :) Kevin gave me a foot massage that night--nice!

1 comment:

TheKeilShpeel said...

We still need to make a chore chart too. Yours looks awesome. Thanks for the ideas.