Monday, August 30, 2010

He's in Preschool

Rylan started preschool last Friday. On Thursday Kevin came home and worked from home while Asher took a nap and Rylan and I attended a parent/child class at Rylan's new preschool. There were only a couple times Rylan wanted me to be right next to him but for the most part he did really well. So I have high hopes for this kid :) On Friday I had to wake him up at 8:30 to get ready for school. He quickly ate some pancakes while Kevin dressed him and then we were off. I took him into his classroom to make sure he was okay. When I said goodbye he just smiled and waved. I left and broke into tears...why? Because my little boy is growing up? Because he was okay with me leaving him for several hours? Because that night I was going to be away from him and Asher? I cried the whole 3 minutes home and pulled myself together before walking in the door :)

When I went to pick up Ry he showed me the papers he worked on in school and then didn't have much else to say about it. Kevin asked him how school was and Rylan said he didn't want to talk about it right now. This boy never has been one to open up to us and tell us all about something. I fear for the teenage years! I know he had fun though because he was excited to go back again today! Today when I picked him up the first thing his teacher said was "He talked today!" Funny! Actually, I was a bit surprised that it only took him a few days. She said most the kids in there know each other so it's a pretty friendly, talkative atmosphere which I'm sure helped. Of the 12 students there are 3 boys and 9 girls--quite the opposite of Ry's primary class! His teacher also said he did a very good job writing his name today.

5 comments:

Aubrey Doyle said...

How exciting! He's going to have so much fun there! We went to Oliver's orientation this morning and he can hardly wait to go back to school! Such a fun time!

Is that Rylan's monkey backpack? Love it!

Kacy & Adam said...

Awe, look at that face! I think crying is a good thing...its a positive reminder you love your kiddos and ultimately know they are going to grow up and experience life {whether you like it or not}. It sure isnt easy though. You might be surprised and could get used to those little "breaks" from eachother? Just a thought....

Michelle said...

so is your blog private, and I totally forgot? I'm so lame. These are such cute pics. l also love the pic in the sand box

Gasaway Family said...

Rylan is all grown up! I'm glad he likes school. Daylen starts next Tuesday and he is so excited! I hope he enjoys is as much as Rylan.

TheKeilShpeel said...

That is soo exciting. I had such a hard time letting Kyle go the first time to preschool too. That's awesome that he opened up and loves it. That makes mommy feel so much better :)