It's been several days now, but Rylan is doing great in his "big boy bed". After talking about switching him over to a mattress, and me telling everyone I was hesitant about doing it because he was such a good sleeper, Rylan switched things up and stopped sleeping so well. Nap times were dreaded for me because I was spending way too much time in his room trying to get him to take a nap. Last Thursday I had had enough of that and I decided that if he was not going to sleep, we may as well make the switch. Plus, Rylan had tried to climb out of his crib...yep, just after I had told everyone he had never tried to climb out. So Kevin got home from work on Thursday and I gave him a project...taking the front of the crib off and replacing it with the toddler railings.
Rylan was so excited! Kevin had Rylan "test" it out a few times and all night before bed time Ry kept saying "test bed" and he'd go lay down. I thought it was going to be great! Well, that first night didn't go so well. Rylan came into our room just before midnight calling out "mommy". I have to admit, it was a little creepy! He's done it one other time since and I just haven't gotten used to hearing that little voice so close to me at night calling "mommy". The calling out from the bedroom is a different story. Anyways, I put him right back in his bed and left the room. About 15 minutes later I heard a thump followed by a loud cry. I immediately knew he had fallen out of his bed...sad! I went in his room and held him for awhile until he fell asleep again. Well, throughout the night he was crying out for me and I got little sleep trying to get him calmed down. It wasn't until about 4:00 am that I realized he had a stuffy nose and couldn't breath. Bad night to start the big boy bed I guess!
Well each night since then has actually been pretty good. Even nap times have been successful for the most part. Last night was the second time Ry came into our room. I put him back to bed and I thought he went right to sleep. So I went to the bathroom and heard a strange noise. I called out "Kev" wondering if maybe he got up to do something but the response I got was "It's ABC time". I walked out of the bathroom to see Rylan laying on my bed. He had scooted his car toy into my room and climbed up on it (pressing the ABC button on his way up) to get into my bed. That little stinker! I smiled but immediately took him back to his bed. I really don't mind Rylan sleeping in my bed, but I definitely don't want to make a habit of it so I've been trying really hard to just take him back to his bed.
Anyways, it's hard to let this little guy grow up! We will have to switch him over to a mattress before the baby comes, but for now we'll let him enjoy what he has. He still does get excited about it and he likes to put his monkey to bed, cuddled up with blankets and everything. And I'm glad he's only fallen out of bed the one time! (And if you're wondering, he is holding his nail clippers, and yes, he insisted he sleep with them that night...strange choice, but I'll allow it!)
5 comments:
Oh, wow, what a hard transition!! Seara fell out of her big bed once when it was new to her (poor thing!) but never again. Kids learn quickly! Wanna know what we do to ease the go to sleep problem? I was worried about this (I know a lot of people who did it and were trying to convince me) until I realized it was just as restrictive as keeping a child in a crib. We turn the door knob around and lock them in the room. That way they just can't come out. And, of course, I keep a monitor in the room to hear what is going on at night. You don't have to do it. Just an idea. Good luck!!
Kyle also only fell out once but that was because we didn't have anything to keep him from falling.
I wish I had good ideas but Kyle has good and bad nights. He used to be really good but fear of the dark is our new challenge.
It's a big adjustment going from crib to toddler bed. It gives them a whole new sense of freedom because they can climb in and OUT! Oliver got really good at climbing out of his crib and it took us a couple months of that before we eventually switched to the toddler bed so he was in some really bad habits for a little while there.
We ended up switching his doorknob around (which is what Janae? said). It sounded so mean at first, but it worked wonders and we don't have any problems with him anymore. When it's time for naps or bedtime he does great and sleeps the whole night in his room.
He has a big imagination though so I am always reassuring him that the tractors, monsters, sharks, etc aren't going to get him. Plus he has to have a night light because he's afraid of the dark.
Good luck with Rylan! Those sure are cute pictures of him! Another suggestion would be to put a kiddie lock on the doorknob inside of his room, that might not seem quite so mean as locking him in!
Seriously that is hilarious. However, when it comes time for AJ to make the "big switch", I don't think I'll be laughing.
Although, I took the easy road out. Everyone told me I could switch AJ to the toddler bed by the time Mikko grew out of the bassinette. But he sleeps SOOOOOOO good, and I wasn't about to add that to my daily stress. So I bought another crib. I am hoping to leave AJ in it AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!! I treasure those uninterupted nights and long daily naps.
I am not ready for the creepy "mommy?" just yet.
He is such a cutie! I love the pic with the nail clippers..that is hilarious!
Post a Comment